In partnership with Promote the Vote’s Election Protection Program, Voters Ed Fund is re-launching our Nonpartisan Election Challenger and Observer Recruitment Program for local elections on November 7th.
We are committed to recruiting and training volunteers to protect voters’ rights and help keep Michigan’s elections safe, free, fair, and transparent.
Become an Election Challenger Today!
Voters Ed Fund’s goal is to recruit 250 volunteers who will observe election administrators and poll workers and advocate for voters at risk of voter disenfranchisement at the polls. We are also recruiting volunteers interested in serving as election challengers at early voting sites piloted in select cities throughout the state.
Why do we need nonpartisan election challengers?
Nonpartisan election challengers are crucial to protecting voters from being disenfranchised at their polling place by…
- Being the voter’s advocate. A nonpartisan election challenger’s only priority is protecting the rights of the individual voter – not the party or candidates on the ballot.
- Monitoring the election process at polling locations, satellite offices, and absent voter counting boards.
- Raising an official objection, called a “challenge,” if the challenger does not believe that the poll worker is following Michigan’s election law.
What are the expectations for volunteer election challengers?
- Commitment to nonpartisan volunteerism while serving as an election challenger.
- Interested in learning about voting rights and how to protect voters from being disenfranchised.
- Complete training and assessment before Election Day (appx. 2 hours)
- Available on Election Day or during the Early Voting period – We encourage Election Day volunteers to be available the entire day. Still, shorter shifts will be available for those with work and family obligations. Early vote center poll challengers do not need to be available for the whole day.
If you’re ready to observe elections and help protect the fundamental right to vote this Election Day, sign up to be a nonpartisan election challenger today!